Thursday, March 3, 2011

Deuteronomy 15:12-17:7

This is for my d-group girls out there that think I'm a Bible study fiend: I'm pooped out.  Seriously.  I have been studying all day.  I have been studying all day Daniel for the ladies' Bible study I participate in on Thursdays.  I got behind in my daily studies for this week (and actually, last week, too) because I've been caught up in a different study altogether, contemplating Colossians for a writing project.  Let me tell you, by the time I got to my personal reading for tonight, I have been Bible-studied out.  I think my d-group (discipleship group) girls would  completely emphasize but be a little surprised by this.  (Maybe not?)  You see, I am the ultimate Bible nerd to them.  And I know how I got myself the reputation.  Yes, I'm one of those group leaders who gets excited over maps of Bible lands and times.  I draw timelines for Biblical events.  I am the Bible-Story-Teller.  And I admit: I do love me some Bible stories, especially from the Old Testament.  But, very very sadly, I don't have much to bring to the table on Deuteronomy 15-16, the Passover, the Feast of Booths, the Feast of Weeks.  It took all I had just to pay attention to what I was reading.  Where I wanted to be was thinking about what my husband and I should plant in our first-ever garden project together, or thinking out viable means of losing weight when this baby is born (b/c I soooo need to lose weight), or thinking of the housework I need to get done tomorrow and Saturday while my husband is working.  What, me?  Thinking about housework instead of the Bible?  Yes


I would much rather put a greater amount of effort into my personal devotion time, but I also recognize that I am being challenged by the other studying I do.  The reason I emphasize the personal time is that I don't want to allow other pursuits to replace that devotional time that I dedicate to the Lord.  It would be easy to look at the preparation to for a lesson as devotional time, yet strictly, it isn't.  I have an ulterior motive there.  Personal devotions, I feel, should be about me, my God, and my relationship to Him.  This is why doing my devotions late at night is not the best scenario: sometimes the best parts of my brain (and let's admit it, being pregnant they are relatively few) have been spent in other pursuits.  I want to bring my best to God.  Which, I have to tell you, doesn't really happen early in the morning, either.  It takes a good hour or so to wake up and the brain to function; it's been like that since I was a teenager.  It's a difficult balance to find. 

All that to say: I am not really a Bible-study fiend.  I have my human limitations, and I've hit today.  Tomorrow, though, tomorrow I hope for better.



Tomorrow's Reading: Deuteronomy 17:8-18:22

No comments:

Post a Comment