Monday, March 21, 2011

Joshua 12:1-13:7

I couldn't believe how short the reading was today!  Seriously, it took me only five minutes, maybe less!  Thirty-one king.  Thirty-one kings Joshua fought and conquered as he guided Israel to conquer the promised land.  And yet there were so many more, so much more land that needed to be subdued.  The Lord makes it clear that Joshua won't be doing it: after all, he wasn't exactly a spring chicken after forty years of wandering.  Still, it remains to him to allot the land to Israel, and the rest of the conquest would be left to another day, even another generation.  You'll see the names of these peoples come up again and again in the Book of Judges, especially the Philistines.  They prove to be the proverbial pain-in-the-rear of the Israelites. 

From here we will be reading about the allotment of the tribes' inheritances.  I admit, I'm a little intimidated, as it is a number of cities and areas I am totally unfamiliar with.  No Biblical map I own is detailed enough to show me all of them, or even most of them, or maybe even more than a handful.  I have maps that show me where the allotments fell, but this doesn't help correspond a great deal with the litany of cities.  I think it is going to take wisdom and a lot of prayer and help from the Holy Spirit to remember that this is for our nourishment as well, that all Scripture is God-breathed and useful to us.  And so tomorrow, we begin.  Best to pray before we do!

Tomorrow's Reading: Joshua 13:8-14:15

No comments:

Post a Comment