Thursday, April 29, 2010

Never so familiar

This past weekend Beth Moore conducted a simulcast via satellite across the country.  Her topic was insecurity and why a believing woman should not be insecure.  But during the course of this talk, she made this challenging statement: Never be so familiar with the Bible that you don't learn something new each time.  She wasn't in any way discouraging people from reading their Bibles or being in the Word every day.  I think that suggestion would horrorify her.  That's not what she's about.  Instead, I think she was trying to encourage us to never believe that we know so much that we no long allow ourselves to learn something new.  The Scripture is living and active: it is dynamic, it changes.  We are the ones who become stagnant.

This is something of a challenge for me.  I am a Bible school graduate: half of my degree was Bible courses!  It is so easy for me to feel that I already know things (definitely not everything).  It would be so easy for me to become stagnant in my thinking and not continually learn from the Bible.  But that is my goal for these next two years: to always be learning, even to often be surprised by the Scriptures.  That is what I want more than anything else.  I don't want to think that I already know it so well that I can't learn.  It is always my desire to learn.  That is why my favorite Bible study is on Tuesday nights: we really dig deep there!

I hope that if you read along with me, that you'll be open to learning things, as well.  That something will strike you anew every day.  That is my prayer for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment