Thursday, April 22, 2010

A word on the translation

I will be using the English Standard Version (ESV) for my readings.  It is the translation I use for everything and it is my favorite.  Bar none.  Hands down.  Absolute favorite.  Why am I so partial?  I could go on forever, and actually have on my personal blog, but to keep it short I like it for the following reasons:

  1. It is a word-for-word translation, versus thought-for-thought.  Thought-for-thought requires some interpretation on the part of the translator as they are trying to convey the main message or principle, rather than the actual terms used.  Greek does not translate literally into English, so this is necessary in any translation.  But word-for-word translations try to keep that to a minimum, and where possible, try to keep it as close to the original Greek as possible.  So you will in fact find words like propitiation as they are in fact there in the Greek, even if we don't use those words these days.
  2. It reads wonderfully.  Yes, the italics are necessary.  The language of this translation is beautiful.  It is lyrical in many passages.  If you're the type to read something well-worded and practically swoon over the craftsmanship, this translation is for you, too.
Now, from time to time I might use/look up another translation to see how it's said somewhere else.  And I might refer to the Greek, because, yes, I do that when I'm reading and studying on my own.  It fascinates me.  My d-group (high school small group) girls like to tease me about being a Bible nerd.  I am, and proud of it. :)  But by and large, everything will come out of the ESV.

No comments:

Post a Comment