Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A note on interpretation

When it comes to discerning what the Scriptures mean, I'm of the literal interpretation (the technical term is hermeneutic) camp.  I fully believe the motto I heard many of my profs say in Bible college: "If the first sense makes sense, then seek no other sense!"  In other words, I don't think Scripture is allegorical where you have to divine what it is trying to communicate.  It isn't only truth if you experience it in a metaphysical way. I believe God gave the Bible in order to communicate with us, to make clear His Holy standard as well as His plan for bringing us back to Him.  That would be pretty hard to understand if He wasn't forthright about it.  Now, I do believe Scriptures use allegory, metaphors, hyperbole, and other figures of speech, just as we do every day.  But, I think these are also pretty obvious when they're used.  So, when we get to Genesis, yes, I do believe God created the earth is seven days.  Yes, David did kill a giant.  Yes, there will be a millennium at the end of time where Jesus reigns on earth.  You can agree to disagree with me if you must, but that is the approach this blog will be using.  Just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment