Monday, May 3, 2010

Genesis 4:1-5:32

I want to be like Enoch.  This is what the Bible says about Enoch:

Enoch walked with God after he fathered Methuselah 300 years and had other sons and daughters.  Thus all the days of Enoch were 365 years.  Enoch walked with God, and then he was not, for God took him.

365 years when the generations before him ranged from 895 to 962 and his own son lived to be the longest-living individual in the Bible at 969 years (yes, even longer than Adam as the Bible says that all of Adam's days numbered 930 years, not just the days after the Garden).  That's like dying at 30 in today's terms.  (Scary.  I'm 30 now.)  Enoch walked with God, and then at 365 he was not.  The Septuagint says "he was not found".  That makes Enoch one of the only two people who never died (the other being Elijah) because they were taken into heaven before they died.  They were just taken.  Like an alien abduction.  Ok, definitely not.

When I was in high school an intern we had named Mayah put it this way (sorry, Mayah, if I don't spell it right...):  she always imagined that Enoch walked out each day, met the Lord, and then they would go walking together.  And each day they went farther and farther until one day, the Lord said, "Why don't you just come home with me?"  I've always loved that.  Walking so close with the Lord that heaven is closer than going home.

I want to be like Enoch.  I want to walk with the Lord for 300 (or 30 more) years and then go Home with Him.  I want that the best thing that can be said about me was that I walked with the Him.  We know no more than that about him, but don't we hold Enoch in high regard?  Do we not esteem Him?  I have a long way to go.  I'm so imperfect.  If not for Grace, I would be lost, as I've certainly never deserved God's regard.  But then, that is the nature of our God.  So exacting and holy, and with higher standards of my own, if you can believe it, and yet so graceful, so merciful, so loving and good and kind.  Oh, that I were more like Him!

Reading for tomorrow: Genesis 6:1-8:22

No comments:

Post a Comment