Thursday, May 20, 2010

Job 22:1-30

Eliphaz's speech here begins a third round of speeches.  They have followed a pattern:
  1. Eliphaz speaks.
  2. Job refutes.
  3. Bildad speaks.
  4. Job refutes.
  5. Zophar speaks.
  6. Job refutes.
This happens three times.   In the first round of speeches, Job's friends imply that this must surely have happened because of some sin Job may have committed and they warn him to repent.  When Job defends himself and assures them there has been no sin, they take another tack: they warn him of the ways of the wicked, implying that he has gone such a way.  So far, he has done his best to refute his friends' attacks.  Now, when it seems Job is unwilling to listen or heed their "advice," they amp up their arguments.  Now it's not general hints or warnings: it's a full-on character attack.

Eliphaz begins with an oh-so encouraging theme: that God does not benefit from man in any way; our goodness or lack of it does not sway God one way or the other; therefore, why would God punish Job unless he was sinful?  Eliphaz lays several charges at Job's door, all of them harmful to his fellow man.  He accuses him of being greedy, uncaring, withholding mercy from those in need; he is as bad or worse than those swept away in the Flood.  Add to this Job's defiance of God's wisdom in punishing him, and Eliphaz is glad to mock Job's misfortune as justice has been served!  (After all, Job did say they could "mock on" after he spoke his peace...)

Here we see Eliphaz willing to falsely accuse Job in his desire to be proven right.  Eliphaz is going to push his suit even to making unreasonable claims.  What he does not seem to realize, in his self-righteousness, is that he is doing the very thing God hates!  He is a "false witness who breathes out lies"!  (Check out Proverbs 6.)  Job is a blameless and upright man.  We know this.  How could he be blameless if he is depriving widows of food, letting debtors go cold and without clothing, denying the weak and hungry nourishment, and weighting down orphans?  That does not speak "blameless" to me, nor should it have to Eliphaz, who knew Job. 

What is it about our need to be right that tempts us down these kinds of paths?  Why would we (as people, human beings) be willing to cling to what we know is not true just to be proven "right"?  Is it our pride?  Do we lack humility?  Common sense?  I don't know.  I know I used to do that when I was a kid, but I hope I have learned humility since then.  I have had to admit numerous times that I might not know something for sure, but this is what I had thought.  Perhaps I'm not right.  The older I get the more "not right" I seem to be!  (And there are people, I've found, who are more than plenty glad to let me know about it, too.) 

Job, I tell you what: I don't want to be like your friends.  I'm sorry they were this way for you, but they are teaching me a great deal about what I don't want to be.  Unfortunately, they are proving to be Dr. Rushing's "Bad Example" in a number of ways.  It is my prayer that I can learn this lesson without having to learn it through the "hard way" of experience.

Tomorrow's Reading: Job 23:1-24:25.

No comments:

Post a Comment