Monday, May 24, 2010

Job 28:7-31:40

When I was in high school, I was part of the choir.  For state one year, we split into men's choir and women's choir, as well as going as a mixed group.  For the women's group, we sang a song called "Whence comes wisdom?"  I remember because it was a very technical song and sounded... just weird.  Many of the chords were discordant, the tempo choppy and fast, and some of the notes unpleasant to a woman's voice.  At least that was my opinion.  I think we ranked fairly well.  But I can still sing portions of that song.  I never realized until today that the song is taking from the 28th chapter of Job!  But that's a side note.

I begin to think that Job's real sin throughout all this is pride.  Chapters 29 and 30 really seem to suggest that in his defense of himself, Job has become prideful.  Chapter 29 details (or maybe extolls is a better word) the position that Job once had as an elder, a benefactor, an upright man.  And then Chapter 30 takes a turn for the worse.  Before he was struck, even princes would hold their speech in his presence.  Now, young men laugh at him: young men whose fathers he would not deign to treat as well as his animals!  He's a laughing stock, a byword.  His friends and family and enemies are all horrified by his presence.  Job goes on to say that if he has indeed done anything wrong, then may it truly be visited upon him: may others prosper from what he has done and may his rewards dry up.  If he has turned anyone away, failed to show mercy, been unfaithful, if he has cheated or harmed anyone, then may he be justly punished.  Until then, God should know his righteousness.  Unless I missed it, I didn't see where Job said, "If I have proved to be prideful..."  Perhaps this is what the Lord will be speaking to him about when the Lord finally speaks.

The last portion ends with "The words of Job are ended".  Job has at least rested his case.  He will have nothing more to say because our new character will speak next and then God Himself will answer.  Has Job made a good case?

Tomorrow's Reading: Job 33:1-32:22

No comments:

Post a Comment