Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Exodus 39:1-43

You know, I have to admit, I'd feel one of two ways wearing the priests' garments: either a trumped-up turkey, or a mighty important person.  I wonder how many of those Levitical high priests ever felt like the first one?  I'm pretty sure quite a few felt like they were pretty important, if the behavior of the ones mentioned in the Gospels and Acts are any indication.

It must have been a beautiful garment, though: red, blue, purple thread entwined with real, hammered gold thread.  (Can you imagine the work it would take to hammer out gold thin enough to intertwine with regular fabric type threads?)  The stones set in gold filigree, engraved like signet rings...  It has again made me a little desirous of a ceremonial piece to wear, if for no other time than to wear it while praying or studying.  I should really consider a prayer shawl.

The thing that got me the most, though, was the plate on the crown with the inscription, "Holy to the Lord."  Set apart to the Lord.  That was to describe the entire priesthood, not just the high priest that would wear those gowns.  They were to be set apart to the Lord, in speech, in conduct, love, faith, and purity (1 Timothy 4:12, look it up), not just be set apart by these outer garments.  The garments were symbol of their office and their duties and were to remind them of those things and to whom they owed these things: first to God, and then to the nation of Israel.  Don't we all have that same duty?  To be examples before a fallen world, before our own church bodies, but first to the Lord?  We don't wear priestly garments; we are not even necessarily go-betweens in the same way the priests were; Jesus is that priest and there is no need for another (Hebrews, check it out).  But we are representatives; we are salt and light.  We are the examples.  I would shudder to wear something inscribed "Holy to the Lord" because of the tremendous responsibility.  Nothing says "stand out" like something inscribed with those words on it.  But wouldn't it be good for us?  A daily reminder?  Not being allowed to fall back on the "I'm human" excuse for behavior?  I am human!  I mess up all the time! And while I strive to do my best, how much more would I work for that knowing that I've got that inscribed across my forehead?  It's a question worth pondering.  How about I pretend it's there and live like it is?

Next Reading: Exodus 40:1-38

No comments:

Post a Comment