Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Genesis 18:1-33

Do you ever get a little jealous of the people in the Old Testament?  I do.  I read about how Abraham is sitting at the tent-flap beneath the Oaks of Mamre, looks up, and there is God standing before him.  God.  Of the universe.  Almighty.  Holy.  Majestic.  Standing right in front of him.  Man.  What was that like?  In fact, the Bible says that three men were standing in front of him; some interpret this as the Holy Trinity, others God and two angels, which would make sense since two angels went on to Sodom and Gomorrah after Abraham's little bargaining plea for Lot.  Either way, the Alpha and Omega is standing at your door, and He's come for tea.  How amazing is that?

What would I do if Almighty God stood before my door?  I can just see it: I'm sitting on the living room floor making faces at Eliza as she chews on the various accoutrements I have set before her, and the doorbell rings.  I go to answer it.  Instead of a salesman, instead of the mailman.  It's God.  Would my hospitality set in like Abraham and I immediately offer to brew Him some coffee and make some cookies?  Or would I be paralyzed and awestruck that God Himself is standing on my doorstep?  What would He have to say to me?  God did three things while He visited with Abraham: He ate, He reminded Abraham of the promise of a son, and He let Abraham know what was in store for Sodom and Gomorrah.  What would God be there to say to me?  I can't imagine it.  But I can imagine standing there wishing Nick was at home because His coffee is better, and thinking that maybe I should have whipped up some scones instead of cookies.  And I'd be thinking of all the things I should have gotten done that day and didn't, and all the things I shouldn't have done but did.  And I'd be wondering when and if God would mention them.  Would I be fool enough to try to think of excuses?

Sometimes we wish God spoke to us today as He did to these Old Testament saints.  Abraham saw and spoke with God.  So did Moses.  Elijah was taken up in a fiery chariot before he could die, and Elishah walked with God's spirit.  David was God's anointed.  Samuel His prophet and priest.  Jeremiah received great words of prophecy, as did Isaiah and Ezekiel and Obadiah and Jonah and Amos and Haggai.  Jacob wrestled with Him.  We so often want something that tangible that they experienced.  We sometimes, I often forget that we have received something else.  Hebrews 11 talks about it, and it's finished in the next chapter: that all these had great faith and looked towards something they never saw, Christ.  We, though, may not have seen Christ, but we know Him.  We have the opportunity to walk daily with Him when we surrender to Him as Lord and Savior.  He is with us always, even when we take it for granted.  I wonder if they would willingly have given up these "tangible" experiences of God to know a little of what we do: God's saving work.  Would they, then, be a little jealous of us?

Tomorrow's Reading: Genesis 19:1-38

No comments:

Post a Comment