Monday, June 7, 2010

Genesis 25:1-34

Growing up, I thought my mom loved my sister more than me.  Even now, there are some days that old fear resurfaces and I think she's more proud of my sister, more in tune with my sister, simply likes my sister more than she does me.  Mom has reassured me again and again how much she cares, but sometimes it's hard to banish an old insecurity.  (And face it, my sister is pretty cool, even amazing.  Who wouldn't like her?)  So, my heart gives a little twinge when I read about the favoritism between Isaac and Rebekah over their children.

This passage sets up a lot of the background on heartaches to come.  We see God reveal to Rebekah that her younger son will be greater than her firstborn.  That's pretty significant: it was the firstborn that received the greatest share, if not all, of the inheritance.  It was the firstborn who received the birthright and the blessing, who was favored and esteemed.  And we find out that God intends for that right to go to Jacob, the younger, the heel-grasper, the deceiver.  Already we see that Esau "despises" his birthright in that he is willing to sell it for some stew!  He holds it in such low esteem, and his stomach in such high esteem, that he practically gives away his inheritance.  His logic is completely illogical!  "What does it matter to me if I have this birthright since I'm going to die?"  But, then, he eats the stew, which revives him, and goes on his merry way.  Can't you just hear Cornelia Bryant (Anne's House of Dreams, L.M. Montgomery): isn't that just like a man?  Maybe not, but it does seem foolish.

These are things that are coming to a head: Rebekah's preference for her younger son; Rebekah's knowledge that Jacob will be the greater of the brothers; Esau being willing to give away his birthright; the brothers' contention with one another that began in the womb.  How will it all end?  Let's find out!

Tomorrow's Reading: Genesis 26:1-35

No comments:

Post a Comment