Monday, June 21, 2010

Genesis 41:1-40

How many times have you (or I) wished the Lord would just be clear about what He's going to do?  Have you ever, as I have, said, "If I just knew what God was doing, this would be so much easier!"  But a new thought struck me tonight.  God did tell Pharoah as well as Pharaoh's cupbearer and Pharaoh's baker what was coming, and specifically Pharaoh what God was setting into motion.  However, they didn't have the ability to understand, or to interpret.  They had to rely on Joseph for that as God had gifted Joseph with the ability to interpret dreams.  You can extrapolate a few more principles from this: Joseph knew God, Pharaoh and his men didn't.  Joseph grew up in a household that new the One True God, as He had spoken to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  At one point in his youth, even, Jacob his father commanded Joseph's family to set aside all of their household gods and to purify themselves; from then on, they would be following the Almighty.  Pharaoh was an Egyptian with a myriad of gods and may not have known or been able to recognize the true god until presented with Him through Joseph, who gave all glory and credit where it was due.  Until they met Joseph, these men didn't know God and therefore could not understand what He was trying to tell them.

This tells me a few things.  First, how important it is that I know my God!  Prayer, petition, study, worship, fellowship, the tools God has given me to know Him and to grow in Him are my best tools if I want to know where God is going, or where He would have me go.  The times in my life when I have been the most devoted were inevitably also the times when I was most focused, and even if I didn't know each little step along the way, I see now how I was following a very definite path because I was following Him.  Second, I need to be listening.  Again, prayer and study, worship, petition.  I need to be available and willing to listen; Joseph told Pharaoh that it would be God who would interpret, Joseph was only listening.  If I want to know what God would tell me, I need to be listening and sitting at His feet, ready to hear.  It does no good if I'm off somewhere else, dinking around, and wishing God would speak.  I need to be more like Joseph.  (I told you he was cool; God, though, is cooler.)

Tomorrow's Reading: Genesis 41:41-42:38

No comments:

Post a Comment