Friday, June 11, 2010

Genesis 29:14-30:24

Okay, I admit: I spent the majority of this morning's reading thanking the Lord that I didn't have to share my husband with another woman!  I cannot imagine being Leah: knowing that you are being given to a man who wanted your sister, than your husband getting your sister, and being neglected, maybe even resented, for your sister.  I kind of know how this feels: growing up my sister and I could probably have reflected Rachel and Leah, to a lesser extent.  I am older, she is younger; she was far more attractive, I was definitely less so.  I don't know how many times I would notice a good-looking guy to only notice a moment later that he was checking my sister out and completely oblivious to my existence.  Now imagine that happening every day.  With your husband.

Anyone else think the child-bearing race rather resembled the Arms Race?  Leah has four, Rachel none.  So, Rachel gives Jacob her maidservant to have children by (isn't sharing him with Leah enough?).  Leah stops having children, so she gives Jacob her maidservant.  (Seriously, isn't sharing him with Rachel MORE than enough?!)  By the time they're done, there are thirteen children, four wives, and one worn-out guy!  Their time with their husband is so precious, or perhaps to Rachel not so much, that they're willing to barter it for mandrakes!  Perhaps Rachel isn't worried, as she knows Jacob would rather be with her, but Leah is so excited that she goes out to meet him as he comes in from the field.

God uses all this baby-getting to His own purposes, whatever the purposes of these women were.  From the twelve boys come the twelve tribes of Israel.  (Well, sort of.  But that's a completely different topic for another passage.)  God has promised Abraham that from him would come a mighty nation.  Same promise went to Isaac, and then Jacob.  Jacob is the first to see the real proliferation.  At the end, Jacob will be able to look further down the road and bless his sons with things to come.  I think that might have been an eerie moment from the brother, who by then were already getting on in years themselves.  But again, we see God working things according to His plan, despite others' schemes or motivations.

Again that question comes to mind: would you rather work with God or have Him work despite you?

Tomorrow's Reading: Genesis 30:25-31:21

No comments:

Post a Comment