Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Genesis 26:1-35

You've heard the saying, "Like father, like son"?  Well, maybe the saying got started here.  It seems Abraham didn't warn Isaac of the pitfalls of calling your wife your sister, or perhaps Isaac ignored them.  An interesting thing I learned from the Bible Knowledge Commentary on this passage is the use of the word "laughing", as in when Isaac was laughing with Rebekah.  Yes, the ESV notes that the Hebrew suggests an intimate relationship, and other translations use the word "caressing".  What is interesting about this particular word in the Hebrew is that it references two other words used prior in relationship to Isaac: first, his name, which means laughter; and second, the mocking of Ishmael at Isaac's weaning.  Here, the writer of Genesis (Moses) is making a play on words regarding this incident with Isaac.  The BKC discusses how this play may actually be pointing up Isaac's lack of faith in calling Rebekah his sister.  The incident comes just after God directs Isaac to this land, tells him to dwell there, and that this land will eventually belong to Isaac's descendants.  This would suggest, you might think, that God will take care of Isaac as He intends for Isaac to dwell there and for his descendants to have possession of the land.  However, Isaac fears for his life on account of Rebekah's comeliness, and rather than trust God and have faith, Isaac pulls a trick out of his father's hat.  As time will tell, though, that Abimelech means no harm to Isaac, rather he is more intimidated by Isaac's wealth and might, and rather than attack the "bigger dog", Abimelech has the soundness of mind to recognize that Isaac is blessed and seeks a treaty with him.  (Also sounds a bit like Father and Son there, doesn't it?)

I admit, it kind of points up my own lack of faith.  There have been times when I know God has led me into something, things haven't gone well, and I begin to doubt and wonder (and sometimes mutter) about what God is doing and if I'm hearing things right.  Scripture is before us; it tells us of God's wonderful plan and the things that He has already accomplish.  But shouldn't it also serve as an example and a reassurance to us?  If God took care of Isaac, then wouldn't He take care of me as well, who has been adopted into His family and given the status of a child, and heir?  What an embarrassment if my adventures in living by faith went down for all of history with a note of mockery, or a note that suggests I've made a mockery of my faith in my behavior. 

I know I might sound as if I have very high expectations.  Or maybe I sound the exact opposite: like a total failure.  But these are the things I'm learning, and now I have to learn how to put them into action.  I think it might take time: an overnight change would be wonderful, but it doesn't often happen.  However, I am assured of this: that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  So I can do it, with His help.  It is my prayer that what i learn will become more and more evident in my life, even to those who tend to nay-say me.

Tomorrow's Reading: Genesis 27:1-40

No comments:

Post a Comment