Friday, July 9, 2010

Exodus 15:1-27

It's incredible, isn't it?  Israel goes from a stunning high to a stunning low.  Throughout the reading of Moses' and Israel's song to the Lord on seeing the Egyptians defeated after the Red Sea Crossing, I kept thinking to myself, "You know, we just don't worship like that anymore."  We don't, really, do we?  Part of that is culture and how styles change.  Another part of that is that we rarely seem to cry out in joyous worship, even when God does something incredible in our lives.  And here, Israel is standing on the banks of the Sea, rejoicing and giving glory to the One who truly deserved it. 

And then, God leads in them into the wilderness.  And three days later, (three days), Israel is grumbling because the water they find is bitter.  Here are some things I think we should remember before we pass down judgment: three days is a long time without fresh water (maybe no water).  I don't think many of us have experienced that kind of thirst.  But I think many of us can identify with the moment where we think we are finally going to receive relief from a burden, a stressor, or a worry, only to find out that it not only does not relieve us but the disappointment compounds our troubles.  I imagine Israel was in such a moment.  In hindsight, it's so easy to say, "Have faith!"  After all, we know that just around the corner was the oasis God had intended for them (after all, there are twelve springs and twelve tribes.  Perfect?  I think so).  But Israel didn't know that.  How often do we meet a crisis and just when we think we'll find relief, are disappointed and even angry when it doesn't prove to be the case?  Do we hold on in faith that a restful spring is just around the corner?  Or do we complain to God?  I know which I have done lately, and it's not the answer I wish I could choose.  It's very easy to complain when you can't see any further ahead then the feet you're walking on.  But that is the way God guides us.  That way, we are relying on Him, rather than the path we can see.  Isn't that right?

Tomorrow's Reading: Exodus 16:1-17:7

No comments:

Post a Comment