Thursday, July 15, 2010

Exodus 23:10-24:18

Did you notice that though Israel is just now encamped at Sinai, God is already warning them about serving foreign gods and even the gods who are worshiped in the Promised Land?  The Israelites are already how many years from entering into Canaan to take possession?  Already, God is warning them of what will be one of their greatest pitfalls (besides being a stiff-necked nation).  Do not mention the name of other gods, don't let them pass your lips!  The Hittites, Hivites, Canaanites, etc. shall not even dwell in the land, lest the Israelites stray towards their gods.  And it proves to be true, as we see in Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, the books of the Kings and the Chronicles: Israel was forever straying after foreign gods because they failed to drive out all the Canaanites and tribes living in the land as they should have in Joshua. 

Yet, at the time that this is given, the Israelites tell Moses that they will do everything God has said.  They did not quarrel, they did not question.  They just said, "Yep, we're going to do it."  Lack of tactical follow-through is their undoing.  But still, I have to admire their attitude.  Are they so willing because of the Pillars of Fire and Cloud?  Are they willing because God encamps on the mountain?  Are they willing because God took them out of Egypt and has provided for them every step of the way?  It doesn't say.  It just says they agree.  I think I could use more of that attitude in my life.  How often do I feel I should do something and I dither and doubt?  I put off, feel so unsure, until the moment passes?  I need to obey God in such a way, and not just with my mouth but with my actions: God says and I say, "Ok," and do it.  That may be overly simplified, and yet again, it might not.  But I should cultivate such a ready obedience in my life.

Tomorrow's Reading: Exodus 25:1-40

No comments:

Post a Comment