Monday, July 19, 2010

Exodus 27:9-28:30

The priestly garments are wrought with symbolism and remembrance.  Two onyx stones inscribed with the names of Israel's sons sit upon the shoulders of the priest when he goes in before the Lord.  The breastpiece is decorated with twelve stones inscribed with the names of the twelve tribes of Israel; note the tribes, not the names of the sons, and they are in fact different.  Technically, there is not a tribe of Joseph at this time, as his descendants are split among the tribes of Ephraim and Manasseh.  It is hard to tell what tribe might be left out among the technically thirteen tribes: Simeon is counted in the census in numbers, but they are not given land in the inheritance.  The tribe of Levi is not counted in that census, but is set apart, but as they are the tribe that has the priestly duties to go before the Lord, it would seem strange if their name is missing on the breastpiece, unless of course we can count the priest within the Tabernacle as a rememberance before the Lord on his tribe's behalf.  Unless, they do, in fact, count Ephraim and Manasseh under Joseph?  We may never know.

Either way, the garments the priests wore held a few purposes.  One, it set them apart from the rest of the people.  It denoted their office as well as gave a physical separation in that these garments were like no one else's.  As well, their pieces had ceremonial significance.  A priest had to be consecrated with a sacrifice, a burnt offering, a wave offering, and an anointing.  It was a big deal to be ordained into the Levitical priesthood, and the awarding of these garments kind of sealed the deal. Before a priest could don these garments, he had to go through a ceremonial washing, and then another when he removed them to put on his "street clothes" again.  Also, wearing them brought before the Lord all of Israel in remembrance: the sons of Israel and the tribes of Israel.  I don't know that this was intended so much to remind the Lord, as He never forgets.  I think it's possible that it was more for the priest to remember, so that he may remember on whose behalf he is acting and what his role is: as an intermediary between God and the people. 

We don't have anything like that today.  My pastor preaches in a button-down shirt and khakis.  I think the last time I saw him in a tie was when he performed my wedding ceremony.  I'm not saying that the ladies of the church should go out and weave together a coat of blue and purple and scarlet yarns for my pastor to put on, or that we should have a jeweler inscribe stones with the names of the... elders?  Who would we put on the onyx stones for him to wear in remembrance before the Lord?  But sometimes I do think it would be nice if there was something that we did or wore, something tangible, that served as a reminder of our Lord and our responsibility before Him.  God instituted a number of symbolic rituals and things like garments; pillars were often erected for remembrance.  We often remember only that they became ritualized and marginalized to the act, rather than their purpose.  But if God saw fit to institute them, then do they not do good?  We have our own: communion.  But there are times where I think that something ceremonial might be good outside communion, something that every time I picked it up it would help me to focus on my purpose.  One example: prayer.  Our church has begun a prayer shawl ministry for those who are sick or hurting.  I think it's wonderful, and I plan to get involved (though I'm sad to say it likely won't be this month).  But I think I might like to have a prayer shawl (preferably without the illness or tragedy to get one!).  Something as simple as picking it up and setting in on my head or shoulders when I go to pray can be very focusing: remember, you are here to come before the LORD GOD, and to lift up to him concerns on others' as well as your own behalf, to thank Him, to praise Him, and to worship Him.  Perhaps just that simple practice will help me to remember my purpose and the One that I serve in a practice that I often struggle with.

Tomorrow's Reading: Exodus 28:31-29:46

No comments:

Post a Comment