Sunday, January 9, 2011

Leviticus 12:1-13:59

A very good friend of mine once told me a story about how she and her brother and sisters played "leper" as kids.  They would throw towels or blankets over their heads and walk about crying out, "Unclean! Unclean!" so that all may know their leprosy and not come near.  Whether they based the game on this passage or on stories from the New Testament, I don't know.  If you think it unlikely that a bunch of kids would know a passage in Leviticus, you haven't met this family. :)

I couldn't help but think of my friend and her siblings as I read this passage.  It is such a funny story to think of a bunch of kids wandering around their farm, yelling "Unclean!"  And yet, it's also a little heartbreaking when you compare it to these Scriptures.  The truth is, there were people who for thousands of years under the Old Testament Law who did have to shun the company of others and have to call out warnings of their uncleanness to those who might pass them by.  They were ostracized for fear that their disease was infectious, and therefore dangerous.  It was necessary, but how difficult would it be to send your son or daughter away, your mother or brother, dad or uncle, knowing that you would likely never live with them again?  To fear that you might be infected already and only a matter of time would show it on your skin.  What would it be like to be subjected to a priest for examination, one who may fear the Lord and have compassion, or one who loves his position more than God or people and looks at you with distaste?  I couldn't help but think these things and imagine being shut up for seven days while we wait to see if the spot, sore, or abscess is infectious or not.  It gives me a greater appreciation for the joy of the lepers Jesus healed, the relief and excitement of being able to present oneself to the priest with the proper offering, be examined and pronounced clean again.  And it amazes me all the more that only the single leper returned to worship at Christ's feet.  What an incredible gift the Lord gave them!  And only one thought to return to their Savior and thank Him.

I want to say, "I hope I'll never be like that," but I have to examine myself and be sure that I never have.  Have I ever taken a blessing for granted?  Have I ever received and not given back?  It's a very humbling question.  Lord, may I not have that attitude again, and give You daily thanks for all that You have given me!

No comments:

Post a Comment