Friday, January 21, 2011

Leviticus 27:1-34

Final chapter of Leviticus!  And it's on vows.  I admit, at first the chapter didn't make much sense to me.  The ESV uses the term "valuation" in regards to the person dedicated in the vow.  I knew valuation meant to determine the value of, and I wasn't putting everything together.  After a perusal of the BKC (Bible Knowledge Commentary), it made more sense: when a person, household, animal, or piece of land is dedicated to the Lord and made holy, they are put to service for the priests.  Should anyone want to redeem anything dedicated to the Lord, they must pay back the full value and then some.  Some other passages where you see some of this stuff in action include: 1 Samuel 1, Psalm 116, and as for those things that are devoted for destruction, you can see 1 Samuel 15.  We'll likely talk more about devotion for destruction then, as it makes that passage far more understandable for us modern readers.

So, I lived through Leviticus.  More than, lived, enjoyed!  I don't profess to understand it completely, and it would likely take a great deal more in-depth study to do so.  But I can say this: it does make the wider picture of the Old Testament make sense.  I'm starting to see more and more connections between the Law and the events in the Old Testament.  I expect to see even more as we continue reading through.

Tomorrow's Reading?: Numbers 1:1-54

Note: this particular entry did not publish when it should have, and has been back dated to reflect the time of reading rather than it actually making it on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment