Sunday, January 2, 2011

Leviticus 3:1-17

This may seem very shallow, but I was struck by the commandment that the Israelites could not eat the fat of meat.  I knew they were not to eat blood, as it is the life of a creature (human or animal).  But I hadn't realized the fat (I know, I realize I know little about kosher Jewish food).  My main thought was, "Man, that sure takes the flavor and enjoyment out of eating meat!"  Yes, I'm a good gentile.  There is a spiritual lesson here, though, isn't it?  It's a good lesson on giving the best to the Lord.

I watch Food Network.  I'm a fanatic.  I know my palate is too narrow to be really considered a good foodie (as well as my budget too small) but I love and am fascinated by food, and wish I knew more about ingredients, especially quality ones.  I know from my education from said network that the fat is where the flavor is.  Want a good burger?  Have at least 80/20 fat ratio in your ground meat for juiciness.  I've learned these things.  Here, though, in Leviticus 3, all fat belongs to the Lord.  Not just the fat of the peace offering, though that does seem to be the main components of the peace offering, but all fat.  It says so in v.16: all fat is the Lord's.  Israelites are not to eat fat.  It boggles my mind a little (no wonder pork isn't kosher).  But here, you see that the best is given to the Lord, and going without any fat is a remind of it.  How good those peace offerings must have smelled when being offered to the Lord!  (Suddenly, how decadent lardo, an Italian dish of herb-cured fatback, seems!)  It would be a daily, thrice-daily!, lesson in remembering that God deserves and should have the best of anything we can give or want, as everything is from Him, all of our blessings, necessities, all from Him.  What a humbling lesson.  How hard might it have been to keep one's attitude in check on something like that and be glad to sacrifice the best flavor to please the Lord?

Side note: note that the peace offering could be a male or female animal offering.  The burnt offering in ch.1 could only be male.

No comments:

Post a Comment