Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Leviticus 24:1-23

What a long day!  It's been a long day of caring for my daughter, cleaning house, cooking: I've been in full housewife mode today!  Sadly, it means that I read this passage at the beginning of my day, but haven't had an opportunity to write and reflect until now: when I can barely remember it.  It would be so easy to plead "pregnant brain" and go to bed, but I don't want to do that again.  I will say that I found the story of the Israelite woman's Egyptian son tragic.  I understand why the punishment was harsh, and why there was no leniency: the people needed to see that there was no place and no tolerance for sin.  I find it tragic that this young man, in a fit of anger, let his emotions get the best of him, that he showed so little respect for the God so visibly in his own presence.  I feel for that mother.  I can't imagine knowing that your son did wrong and that he was punished in such a way.  I found myself praying that somehow her relationship with God wouldn't have been severed because of it.  So often we contend with God when our children are the victims of accidents or illnesses, and we wonder why did God not prevent them?  How more difficult would it have been, for this woman as it might have been for Aaron over his sons, to know that your child's death is decreed by God because of the sin and choices they have made?  I trust in God's infinite wisdom and love to have resolved that, if the woman was willing to let Him.

Tomorrow's Reading: Leviticus 25:1-55

No comments:

Post a Comment