Friday, January 7, 2011

Leviticus 9:1-10:20

Ever have one of those days where things just did not go according to plan?  Not necessarily a bad day (in fact, it ended very well), just... not remotely like you'd hoped.  I could go into the details of the day, but that's really my other blog.  Suffice it to say that it's after 10:00 and I'm just now sitting down to do my reading for the day.  I am definitely going to do better tomorrow.

I could just say, "I read my reading for today" and sign off.  But I don't really want to do that too much.  This is my time to "chew the cud", if you'll excuse the expression, and I don't want to miss out on that if I don't have to.  So, though my bed is softly calling my name just behind my back, my pillow inviting me to lay down and catch up on the sleep I missed last night, I am steadfastly and doggedly committed to this post.

I'm actually rather glad that these two chapters were read together on my schedule, because they're a very good juxtaposition.  In chapter 9, we see Aaron just after his consecration beginning to enact the sacrifices that the Lord has commanded, and we see a constant refrain: "as the Lord commanded Moses."  Holy fire from the Lord comes out and consumes Aaron's offerings, and this is almost as a benediction, or a sign of approval.  They've been accepted.  Then, just after this in chapter 10, two of Aaron's sons offer fire before the Lord.  And the Lord's holy fire blazes again: but this time it consumes Aaron's sons, killing them.  This is not a blessing; this is not approval.  They have been executed for offering unauthorized fire before the Lord.  Could what they did truly have been that bad?

That seems to be the statement the Lord is trying to make.  The essence of the Law is to follow it: word for word.  Aaron's sons defied God's Word when they offered a fire before Him that was not lawful and was not holy.  They sinned before the Lord, whether out of carelessness or pride or what have you; they sinned.  And the Lord cannot abide with sin.  It may seem a spectacular judgement, to consume them with fire, but in the context of the passage, is it really that outrageous?  We have already mentioned that God used fire to show approval of the sin, peace, guilt, and grain offerings just given.  Is it any more unreasonable to show disapproval in a similar manner?  It certainly caused people to stop and consider the consequences for being flippant or for disregarding the Lord's instructions.  I would certainly have thought twice, if I had been Aaron or one of his surviving sons, to be careful to follow the Lord's instructions in all matters.

A side note: this reminds me of a comment that one of my professors in Bible college made.  He noted once that when God is starting a "new phase" in His plan that it is often accompanied by some spectacular events.  The promise to Abraham: Abraham and Sarah give birth in the old age.  Bringing Israel out of Egypt as a great nation: the parting of the Red Sea, the manna from Heaven, the Pillar of Cloud and of Fire (the list can go on and on here).  The beginning of the sacrificial system: Nadab and Abihu being consumed by fire; Christ's advent, His ministry, His death and resurrection.  The miracles that accompanied the beginning of the church, and Ananias and Sapphira. What this means, I can't say that I'm the expert to tell you.  Maybe this is God's way of showing He's really at work here, I don't know.  But it is interesting to note.  (How's that for a LONG and committed post?)

Tomorrow's Reading: Leviticus 11:1-47

No comments:

Post a Comment